Kusadasi is the most beautiful bay of the Aegean Sea. Its international marina is a popular port of call for yachts, while its harbour is a favourite stopover for cruise ships. Discerning visitors return time and again to Kusadasi, for its crystal-clear sea, its miles of Blue-Flag sandy beaches, its hotels offering secure accommodation, its holiday resorts and its pensions geared to meet the visitors’ every need. Kusadasi County, alongside the Aegean Sea, is the touristic region of Aydın province. The western part of Kusadasi, with its 50-kilometre long coast, faces the Aegean Sea. Kuşadası is a resort town in Turkey’s Aegean coast and the center of the seaside district of the same name in Aydın Province. Kuşadası lies at a distance of 90 km (56 mi) to the south from the region’s largest metropolitan center of İzmir, and 71 km (44 mi) from the provincial seat of Aydın situated inland. The primary industry is tourism.
The city stands on a bay in the Aegean with the peninsula of Guvercin Ada sticking out into the sea at one end, and the mountain of Kaz Dağı behind.
It is 90 km (56 mi) south of İzmir, the region’s largest metropolitan center. It is 71 km (44 mi) from the provincial seat of Aydın situated inland.
The Yavansu Fault Line passes near Kuşadası and there have been earthquakes here throughout history.
Places of interest
The city walls – There were once three gates. One remains today.
Kaleiçi Camii – the mosque built in 1618 for Grand Vizier Öküz Kara Mehmed Pasha. The Öküz Mehmet Pasha caravanserai is near the docks. It was built in 1618 as a strong-room for the goods of seamen.
Guvercin Ada – the peninsula at the end of the bay, has a castle and swimming beaches, including a private beach and cafe with a view back across the bay to the harbour of Kuşadası. There are public beaches at the back of the peninsula, towards the open sea.
Kirazli Village – traditional Turkish koy 12 kilometres (7.5 mi) from Kusadasi.
Yılancı Burnu – a second peninsula beyond Güvercin Ada. Possibly the location of the original settlement of Neopolis. Some walls are visible. There are beaches and beach clubs here.
Pygale – 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) north, the small point behind Hotel Pigale. Once refuge of Agamemnon. Still to be excavated. Also several aqua-parks with wave-pools, white-water slides are located near the town: the largest are NBGS International’s Aqua Fantasy, along with Adaland and Aqua Land.
Ladies Beach – near town. Named because it was once segregated for female bathers. Now open to all.
Kadıkalesi – Venetian/Byzantine castle, 10 kilometres (6.2 mi)along the Kuşadası-Davutlar road, Panionium – 25 km (16 mi) south of Kuşadası, on the Davutlar-Güzelçamlı road.
Once the central meeting place of the Ionian League. The ruins are in poor condition and their authenticity is disputed.
Dilek Peninsula National Park. South of Kuşadası, begins at the town of Güzelçamlı. Bays and beaches, including the bay of Kalamaki.